The Quaint Letter Q
Students will be able to identify the letter Q. Students will be able to make the letter Q sound. Students will be able to form uppercase and lowercase Q.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Before the lesson, place the letter Q cutout under a student's table.
- Wrap a quilt around you, and shake the quarters in your hand.
- Walk around the room as if you are searching for something.
- Tell students that you are looking for the letter that quilt and quarter begins with.
- Find the letter Q you hid beforehand, and act relieved.
- Place your props aside.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (15 minutes)
- Write the uppercase and lowercase Q on the board.
- Tell students that these are the uppercase and lowercase Q.
- Have students form the letters in their palms, on their tables, and in the air with their pointer fingers.
- Model the Q sound. Make the /q/ sound like in the beginning of the word quiet.
- Tell students to repeat after you.
- Write quilt and quarter on the board.
- Ask the class for other words that begin with the Q sound. For example: Can you think of anything else that begins with Q?
- Read the words with the class.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (15 minutes)
- Project the Letter Maze: Q worksheet on the whiteboard.
- Read the instructions at the top of the page.
- Call students up to the maze one at a time.
- Give them a dry erase marker to shade in a block with the letter Q.
- When each student fills in the correct letter, have everyone else make the /q/ sound.
- Repeat this until the maze is completed.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student an Alphabet Practice: Q worksheet to complete.
- Read the instructions with the class.
- Enrichment: Let your more advanced students also write a sentence using a letter Q word on the opposite side of their worksheets. For example: I see a Queen.
- Support: Give your students the Practice Tracing Q worksheet to trace the letters instead of writing them.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Check the students' worksheets to see if they formed the letter correctly.
- Note if they drew a picture of something that begins with the letter Q.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Close the lesson by singing the Five Little Ducks song.
- Write the word quack on the board.
- Call five students up to reenact the nursery rhyme.
- Emphasize that the quack sound ducks make begin with the letter Q.