The Rainbow Fish
Need extra help for EL students? Try the A Rainbow of Feelings pre-lesson.
Students will be able to answer comprehension questions about a story and identify feelings.
- Show students the cover of the book Rainbow Fish. Ask students if they have ever heard this story before.
- Ask students to identify ways that they are different from their peers, such as different hair and eye colors.
- Now, tell students that today they will be listening to a story about a fish who was different then the rest of his friends.
- Define any new or unknown words in a student's home language (L1) as well as English.
- Model identifying a difference using a sentence frame: "I am different because I ________. That makes me special."
- Have students practice sharing their differences using sentence frames or sentence starters with a peer.