Three Little Pigs: 5 W's Reading Comprehension
After completing this lesson, students will be able to answer the 5W questions relating to the story, The Three Little Pigs.
- Start this lesson by explaining to your class that a story answers five basic questions, also known as the 5 W's: who, what, when, where, and why.
- Tell your students that today, they will be listening to the story, The Three Little Pigs, and answering reading comprehension questions based on what they learn.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Create a 5 W's story map for the class to see, using the whiteboard, a projector, or an interactive whiteboard.
- Read the Story of the Frog Prince to your class.
- Ask your class 5 W questions about the story. For example: Who is in this story? Where does it take place?
- As the students answer, fill in your 5 W's chart.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(10 minutes)
- Read the story The Three Little Pigs to the class.
- As you read, pause periodically to ask questions that will help you gauge student understanding of the story. Some great examples include: What did the first pig build? What happened to the pigs’ homes? Who wanted to blow down the pigs' homes?
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- Pass out a copy of the Three Little Pigs Story Map to each student.
- Explain to the class that they will be answering the 5 W's about the story that you just read. For each box, they should draw a picture illustrating the who, what, where, when, and why of The Three Little Pigs.
- Enrichment: Have students who need more of a challenge write a sentence to answer each question on their Story Map. Or, have the students complete an additional Three Little Pigs Story Map.
- Support: Have students who are struggling fill in two of the boxes on their Story Map, and help them with the rest.
- As students work on their story maps, walk around the classroom and look at their worksheets to assess their understanding of the 5 W's.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Ask student volunteers to share their 5 W answers with the class.