Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Time for Action (Verbs)!
Students will be able to use action verbs when writing.
- Ask students what a verb is.
- Tell students that verbs are words that describe actions or states of being.
- Have students popcorn share different verbs.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Write some of the verbs that students share on the board.
- Explain that verbs can describe actions or states of being. The verb run describes an action that someone takes, while the verb believe describes a state of being.
- Circle all the action words that you've written on the board.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Tell students that using action verbs helps to bring writing to life.
- Have students turn and talk to share a sentence using an action verb.
- After each partner has shared, bring the group back together to share their action verb sentences.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Tell students that they will be using action verbs to write about what they did at recess.
- Hand out the Ready for Action worksheet to each student. Have them work independently to complete their writing.
Support: Brainstorm a list of action words that students can use in their recess stories. Keep the list posted on the board or on a piece of paper next to the students who need it.
Enrichment: If students finish early, they can complete the Action Words #1 worksheet.
- Assess how students are using action words in their writing.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Ask for volunteers to share their writing.
- After each person shares, ask students to identify action verbs that they heard.