Students will practice reading, spelling, and writing irregularly spelled sight words.
- Gather students together for the start of the lesson.
- Say, “Today we are going to practice reading and spelling some tricky words. We call these words irregular words because they don’t always follow a pattern like so many of our other spelling words.”
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(5 minutes)
- Display the following words on your board: Talk, walk, chalk, said, and phone.
- Read each word aloud and point out how the word has a unique spelling pattern, then re-read the word and encourage the class to read the word along with you.
- Ask the students to think of other irregular words they know (use the words on your word wall or regularly used in your classroom to highlight this).
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Tell the students that today they will practice reading and spelling irregular sight words by using the words in many different activities.
- Go over each option in the Tricky Word Menu and invite student volunteers to demonstrate how to begin each activity choice.
- Review each of the highlighted irregular words written on the board. Have students first listen as you read the word aloud, then repeat the word while writing it in the air, and finally tracing the word in the rug or on any hard surface. This will provide students with a tactile way of remembering the spelling and pronunciation of each word.
Independent working time(25 minutes)
- Pass out the Tricky Word Menu worksheet for students to complete independently.
- Walk around the room and work with individual students as needed.
Support: Gather students who need additional support together and work on one menu item at a time as a small group.
- Enrichment: Invite advanced students to complete additional menu choices and/or use irregularly spelled words in a story or poem.
- Circulate around the room during independent work time and note which students are working on each task from the Tricky Words Menu and who needs additional support.
- Ask students to write one irregularly spelled word on an index card, on the back of the card have the students use the word in a sentence. Collect each card as an exit ticket at the end of the lesson.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Review the irregularly spelled words from the lesson by asking the class to read each word aloud with you and notice the “tricky” parts of the word to remember when spelling it in the future.
- Answer students questions as needed.
- Collect the exit ticket index cards.