Types Of Forests
Students will be able to identify and describe the four types of forests.
- Tell your students that they will be learning about the four different types of forests today.
- Write the names of the forests on the board, using the handout as a guide.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(20 minutes)
- Go over the Types Of Forests handout.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(45 minutes)
- Ask your students to get into groups of four.
- Give each group a white cardboard box.
- Ask your students to draw each forest on the four sides by using the Types Of Forests handout.
- Ask your students to put the title and names of all group members on top.
Independent Working Time(20 minutes)
- Ask your students to complete the Four Types Of Forests worksheet.
- Enrichment: Ask your students to write an explanation in paragraph format for each side of the box they created in guided practice. Ask your students to write at least two questions about each side. Ask your students to present the box to the support students by pointing to pictures on the sides as well as by reading the paragraph they wrote out loud. After that, ask your students to ask the questions they wrote to the support students.
- Support: Listen to the presentations created by enrichment students. Answer the questions that the enrichment students ask verbally and on paper.
- Grade the worksheet that your students completed to check for understanding.
Review and Closing(20 minutes)
- Ask your students to describe the type of forest they would want to live in and why.
- Go around the class to give each student an opportunity to answer the question verbally.