Using Counting Aids
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Making a Number Line pre-lesson.
Students will be able to create and use math aids (e.g., hundreds charts and number lines) to count.
- Post a sample hundreds chart and number line in front of the classroom.
- Call students together around the charts.
- Ask students to turn to a partner and discuss a time they have seen these used or used one themselves.
- After giving students a chance to share with partners, discuss their past experiences with these charts as a whole group.
- Model how to use both a hundreds chart and number line to count, having the class count along with you as you point to the numbers.
- Review numbers 0–20 in English and student home language (L1).
- Provide examples of where a hundreds chart or number line might be found.
- Have students echo count after you.
- Ask students to give a thumbs up or thumbs down to answer if they have seen similar charts.
- Provide a sentence starter for students to use when answering: "I have seen one __ ___ ___ ______ __ ___ ___ ______."
- Count chorally as a group.