Volume and a Building
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Various Volumes Solution pre-lesson.
Students will be able to use the formula V = l × w × h to find the volume of rectangular prisms in real-world situations.
- Show your students a base-ten hundred flat block. Have them turn and tell a neighbor what kind of math problem a math tool like this might help solve.
- Have students share out ideas to the whole class and note related academic math language used.
- Allow students to use their home language (L1) or new language (L2) in their discussions.
- Provide visual representations or allow them to draw visuals during their descriptions of how to use the base-ten blocks.
- Write the academic language ELs use on the board for students to refer to throughout the lesson.