Which set of standards are you looking for?
Students will be able to compose a song that brings people together.
- Have students sing a familiar song together.
- Ask students how it felt to sing together.
- Then ask students what the song is about. Explain that songs can tell stories, express emotions, or help people celebrate.
- Have students think of one of their favorite songs and share its purpose. Does it tell a story, express emotion, or bring people together to celebrate?
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(20 minutes)
- Read aloud We All Sing With the Same Voice by J. Philip Miller. Ask students how music can bring people together.
- Tell students that they will be writing songs that bring people together.
Guided Practice(10 minutes)
- Model how to write a brief song about a topic of your choice. If you'd like to go into depth about the structure of songs, you can explain that songs have verses, choruses, and bridges. Otherwise, just draft a chorus or verse of a song.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Have students work in pairs to write a short song. Ask students to practice singing their songs together.
Support: Have students model their song after a song they are familiar with.
Enrichment: Have students create a performance, complete with a lyric sheet for their song.
- Assess how students work together to write songs.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Call on pairs to perform their songs.