Goldilocks and the Beginning, Middle, and End
Students will be able to retell a narrative and identify the beginning, middle, and end of a story.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Introduce students to the idea of narrative by defining it as a record of interconnected events, or a story.
- Ask your students to pay attention to what happens in the beginning, middle, and end of the story that they are about to hear.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Either read a copy of the traditional story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears dramatically or watch the interactive story by Education.com.
- Go back over the narrative when you are finished, pointing out the beginning, middle, and end of the narrative.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (20 minutes)
- Using props, have selected students act out the story.
- Have the other students help to tell the narrative.
- If you have many aspiring actors in your class, feel free to repeat this section until everyone gets a chance to be a character!
Independent Working Time (10 minutes)
- Give students drawing paper and crayons or colored pencils.
- Split the class into three groups. These groups will be assigned to draw the beginning, middle, or end of the story.
- Enrichment: Students can label their picture or write a sentence describing their picture.
- Support: Students can work with a partner and collaborate on a picture.
- You may want to take digital pictures of their creations and put together a slide show, which can be displayed on an interactive whiteboard. Label their creations with the terms "beginning," "middle," and "end."
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Observe students to see if they struggle to remember what happened in the story.
- Assess their picture to see if they drew the correct portion of the story.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Have the students display their drawings.
- Ask everyone with a beginning picture to stand up, followed by the middle pictures, and finally the end pictures.
- Have students walk around the classroom and look at each other's pictures.