Need extra help for EL students? Try the Using the 5 W's pre-lesson.
- Students will be able to retell a story and demonstrate understanding of key details in a text.
- Draw a star on the board. In each of the star's five corners, write the following words: who, what, where, when, why (5 W's).
- Next to the star, write the 5 W's again so students can read them better.
- Choral read the 5 W's aloud as a whole group.
- Explain to the students that today they will be able to choose and read a choice story and use the 5 W's ask and answer questions about what is happening in the story.
- Help students choose a book at their reading level.
- Repeat explanation of the 5 W's in English and student's home language (L1).
- Form questions using the 5 W's and have students answer them.
- Ask students to explain how the 5 W's can help them understand what they read in their own words to a partner.