What is My Place Value?
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Place Value and Rounding pre-lesson.
Students will be able to determine the place and the value of a digit in a number and round the number to the nearest 10 or 100.
- Bring the students, with their math journals and a pencil, to the class meeting area. Tell them to place their supplies on the floor next to them.
- Ask students to turn and talk to a partner about the term place value. Allow them to utilize their math journals to create an image or chart to help them explain what they know.
- Tell the students that today they're going to learn how to determine the place and the value of each digit in a number and round to the nearest 10 or 100.
- Invite students to share their thoughts about definitions in their home language (L1).
- Have students discuss with a supportive partner or a peer with the same L1, if possible.
- Give students vocabulary cards with key terms to use throughout the lesson. Include words such as value, place value, digit, position, rounding.