What's in Your Community?
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Describing Our Homes pre-lesson.
Students will be able to describe their communities.
- Ask students what they see in their neighborhoods.
- Tell students that the people and places in their neighborhood make up their communities.
- Provide visuals of things found in a neighborhood to inform student understanding and ability to connect to prior knowledge.
- Share introductory information about neighborhoods in both English and students' home language (L1)
- Display a visual image of a neighborhood and have students turn and talk to share with a partner what they already know about neighborhoods.