What's My Area?
Need extra help for EL students? Try the Finding Area: What Information Do I Need? pre-lesson.
Students will be able to solve for the area of a rectangle or square.
- Bring the students to the class meeting area.
- Draw a rectangle on the board.
- Ask students to talk about the shape they see and what they know about it. Listen for students to use key terms such as area, length, and width.
- Allow students to use reference materials in their home language (L1) to look up key terms for finding area, such as area, length, width, rectangle, and square.
- Provide student-friendly definitions and visuals of the key terms: area, length, width.
- Encourage students to discuss how to find the area of a shape. Have them use sequence words (e.g., first, then, next) to describe the process.