What's That Number?
Need extra help for EL students? Try the What's the Value? pre-lesson.
Students will be able to find an unknown number in an addition word problem.
- Write a story problem up on the board. Read it aloud to your students. For example: "There are 20 animals in the tree. There 10 are snakes, and the rest are monkeys. How many monkeys are in the tree?"
- Write out a corresponding equation to go with the word problem. For the problem above, write out: 10 + ________ = 20.
- Ask them to turn and talk with a partner to share how they could solve this problem.
- Provide students with visuals that connect to the word problem.
- Pair students with a partner who speaks the same home language (L1), if possible.
- Encourage students to rephrase the story problem in their own words to a partner to check for understanding.
- Provide students with sentence stems, such as:
- I can solve the problem by ________.
- A strategy I can use is ________.