Where Am I?, Understanding Plot Lesson Part IIII
Students will be able to deduce story setting from context clues and write their own setting.
Introduction (5 minutes)
- Ask students to get out their workbooks and pencils.
- Discuss terms they might see when reading that describe setting, such as dark, bright, grassy, or house.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Read the paragraph on page 15.
- Answer the first 3 questions as a class.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Instruct students to complete the other questions on page 15 while you walk around the classroom, observing and helping as needed.
Independent Working Time (30 minutes)
- Ask students to complete the rest of the workbook on their own.
- Enrichment: Students in need of enrichment may be allowed to draw and describe their own settings for stories.
- Support: Students in need of support may be given one-on-one time with the teacher or a peer tutor.
Assessment (5 minutes)
- Students will turn in the remainder of their workbook for assessment.
Review and Closing (10 minutes)
- Review literary vocabulary and discuss setting in particular.