Or download our app "Guided Lessons by Education.com" on your device's app store.
Who Lives in the Forest?
Students will be able to draw and write about an animal who lives in the forest.
- Display one of the images of the forest on the board.
- Have students look carefully at the image without talking. Have them notice the details they see.
- Ask the students to describe what they see in the image, using the sentence stem, “I see____.” Have them focus on what they can see, not what they think they see. For example, “I see trees.”
- Tell the class that they will now get to learn more about what they see in the pictures.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read aloud the book Lost In The Woods: A Photographic Fantasy by Carl R. Sams & Jean Stoick
- Pause throughout the read aloud to notice the different animals.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Create a classroom anchor chart to list the animals who live in the forest using a piece of chart paper.
- Have students brainstorm the animals they learned about from the read aloud to add to the anchor chart.
- Ask students to think about other animals that live in the forest to add to the chart.
- Demonstrate writing a sentence using the sentence stem, “The ____ lives in the forest.” using one of the animals from the anchor chart.
- As you write, model stretching out the beginning, middle, and ending sounds in the animal name as you spell it.
Independent working time(20 minutes)
- Tell students that they will now get to choose one forest animal to draw a detailed picture of and to write a sentence using the sentence stem.
- Remind students to practice stretching out their animal name as they write it in their sentence.
- Pass out supplies to each student.
- All students are provided with sentence stems to support them in their writing process.
- Students who need additional support can be provided a list of forest animals with images for reference.
- Have students write additional sentences about their animals.
- Assess whether students are able to identify an animal who lives in the forest.
Review and closing(5 minutes)
- Share out with the class.
- Discuss a few of the animals that the students chose. If time permits, compare and contrast two different forest animals with the class.