Winter Weather Fun
Students will be able to identify what is appropriate in winter weather.
- Ask students what their favorite thing to do in the winter is.
- Share what your favorite thing is about winter.
- Tell students that today they will be learning about winter.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(10 minutes)
- Read students the story Snowmen at Night. Discuss what the weather is like and different activities the snowmen do throughout the story.
- Discuss winter weather clothing such as long pants, big coats, hats, gloves, and scarves. Ask students why they need to wear this kind of clothing in the winter.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they will be making their own snowman.
- Give each student the Build a Snowman worksheet.
- In front of the class, cut out the three circles on your own worksheet. Model glueing them down, adding buttons made from black paper, and drawing a face.
- Pass out scissors, glue, black paper, and crayons.
Independent Working Time(15 minutes)
- Students will now complete the craft independently. Monitor student work throughout the craft.
- Enrichment: Have students play the Build a Snowman! game.
- Support: Students who have difficulty cutting should be given precut circles and buttons.
- Give each student a copy of Circle What Belongs and have them identify what clothing is appropriate for winter.
Review and Closing(10 minutes)
- Have each student stand up and show the class their snowman. Have them name one activity that their snowman would do in the winter.