Winter Weather Fun
Students will be able to identify what is appropriate in winter weather.
- Ask students what their favorite thing to do in the winter is.
- Share what your favorite thing is about winter.
- Tell students that today they will be learning about winter.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher modeling(10 minutes)
- Read students the story Snowmen at Night. Discuss what the weather is like and different activities the snowmen do throughout the story.
- Discuss winter weather clothing such as long pants, big coats, hats, gloves, and scarves. Ask students why they need to wear this kind of clothing in the winter.
Guided Practice(5 minutes)
- Tell your students that they will be making their own snowman.
- Give each student the Build a Snowman worksheet.
- In front of the class, cut out the three circles on your own worksheet. Model glueing them down, adding buttons made from black paper, and drawing a face.
- Pass out scissors, glue, black paper, and crayons.
Independent working time(15 minutes)
- Students will now complete the craft independently. Monitor student work throughout the craft.
- Enrichment: Have students play the Build a Snowman! game.
- Support: Students who have difficulty cutting should be given precut circles and buttons.
- Give each student a copy of Circle What Belongs and have them identify what clothing is appropriate for winter.
Review and closing(10 minutes)
- Have each student stand up and show the class their snowman. Have them name one activity that their snowman would do in the winter.