Writing: Descriptive Words
Students will be able to identify and use adjectives in their sentences.
Introduction (10 minutes)
- Ask the kids to describe what the weather was like when they arrived at school this morning.
- Record students' descriptive responses on the board.
- Underline and identify the adjectives in their sentences.
- Tell students that today, they're going to learn about adjectives.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling (10 minutes)
- Remind students that adjectives describe nouns and can tell how something feels, smells, tastes, looks, and sounds.
- Have students follow along with the If You Were an Adjective video.
- Ask students to name some of the adjectives mentioned in the book.
- Add the adjectives to the list on the board
- Write the following sentences on the board:
The _______ elephant is _______. The _______ kittens are _______.
- Ask volunteers to help fill in the blanks with adjectives.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling (10 minutes)
- Pair each student with a partner.
- Review the meaning of adjectives.
- Have each pair turn to each other and use one word to describe the classroom.
- Have students share their responses with the rest of the class.
Independent Working Time (15 minutes)
- Give each student a copy of the Adjectives: All About Me worksheet
- Read aloud the directions.
- Have students complete the activity on their own.
- Enrichment: Advanced students can write "Who Am I" riddles using adjectives.
- Support: Students needing extra support can each work with a peer during Independent Working Time.
Assessment (10 minutes)
- Give each student an index card and ask them to write three adjectives to describe you.
Review and Closing (5 minutes)
- Ask a volunteer or volunteers to explain what an adjective is.