Yummy Peanut Butter and Jelly
Students will be able to identify the letter S and the sound it makes. Students will be able to follow steps to make a sandwich.
- Sing the Peanut Butter and Jelly song to the tune of Mary Had a Little Lamb, and encourage your students to sing along: Peanuts go crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch, crunch (x2). Peanuts go crunch, crunch, crunch, making peanut butter. Grapes go squish, squish, squish, squish, squish, squish (x2). Grapes go squish, squish, squish, making grape jelly. The bread goes together, together, together. The bread goes together, making PB and J.
Explicit Instruction/Teacher Modeling(5 minutes)
- Ask your students to make the letter S sound and to offer examples of words that begin with S.
- Suggest the word sandwich.
- Ask your class different ways that they could make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
Guided Practice/Interactive Modeling(5 minutes)
- Demonstrate how students can make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, referring to the recipe worksheet.
- Take out the materials.
- Say the steps out loud as you make the sandwich.
- Ask students what you did first, second, third, and fourth.
- Briefly discuss knife safety.
Independent Working Time(20 minutes)
- Have 4 stations set up for students to each make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (or just a jelly sandwich if there are allergies).
- Give instructions on how students are to move through each station to make their sandwiches.
- Separate your students into small groups. Put bread and paper towels at station 1, peanut butter and knives at station 2, and jelly at station 3.
- Discuss how the sandwich tasted, encouraging them to use descriptive language.
- Enrichment: Have your students come up with additional words that start with the letter S, and have them tell a story about these words with the peanut butter and jelly sandwich materials.
- Support: Give your students the Peanut Butter and Jelly coloring page as an alternative activity, emphasizing the letters that are used on the worksheet.
- Give students the Peanut Butter and Jelly recipe worksheet, crayons, and scissors.
- Instruct students to make the paper sandwich by cutting on the dashed lines, coloring in the ingredients, and pasting the appropriate pieces on top of each other.
Review and Closing(5 minutes)
- Check students' work to ensure that they followed directions correctly.
- Use the work of one student to conduct a review.
- Ask your students to identify the steps they took to make the paper sandwich.