Lots of parents count April Fools’ Day as one of their favorite holidays of the year. Having a day devoted to practical jokes gives moms and dads a break from playing the straight guy. “Every other day of the year I’m telling my kids ‘straighten up’, ‘get serious’, ‘focus’,” says Amanda P. – a mom from Massachusetts. “But on April Fools’ Day I can show them a different side of myself – a more playful and fun side. I love that!”
We asked our Facebook Fans to share their best April Fools’ Day jokes with us (and you!). Here are 10 of our favorites:
- “Put a rubber band around the sprayer on the kitchen sink and make sure it’s pointing straight out. When your kids go to wash their hands they’ll get sprayed!” - Goldie D.
- “Put baking soda into the toilet. When your little boys go in the morning it will foam up and give them a big surprise.” - Katrina G.
- “Put toothpaste in your kids’ Oreos after scraping out the cream.” Jen C.
- “Write a short joke or ‘Happy April Fool’s Day!’ on toilet paper with a Sharpie or other permanent marker. Float the paper in the toilet bowl for your kids to find first thing in the morning.” Todd S.
- “Put ‘fried eggs’ candies in your kid’s lunch. Just melt white chocolate chips and drizzle them into miniature fried egg white shapes on waxed paper sprayed with Pam. When they’re almost cool, put one yellow M&M candy in the center for the yolk. Put them in the fridge until they’re hard and then carefully peel them off the paper and put them in a small plastic container so they don’t break in the lunch box. Your child will get lots of attention from her friends for that sweet/gross treat!” Johanna S.
- “If you put a few drops of red and blue food coloring in your bottle of milk it will (harmlessly) turn the milk purple! The kids will have a big surprise when they pour it on their cereal in the morning” Greg E.
- “Put a tiny piece of plastic wrap under the lid of the shampoo bottle. When they try to pour it in their hands nothing will come out. It’s very fun to watch them shake and shake the full bottle!” Alex B.
- “Use a clean drill bit to drill a hole in an apple. Stick a gummy worm deep in the hole so only about an inch is sticking out. Put it in your kid’s lunch box and they’ll have a very funny surprise!” Kelly F.
- “If your kids eat cereal for breakfast you can have some fun by mixing up the cereals. So if someone goes to pour Mini Wheats they may get Cheerios and someone who wants Cheerios may get some Go Lean Crunch.” Erika S.
- “Get the kids all ready for school. Just as you pull into school (or they head out for the bus stop) say ‘April Fools’ and tell them all about the fun day of ‘playing hooky’ as a family you have planned. Head to an amusement park that has long lines on the weekend or go to a park to enjoy the early spring weather. Not something you’d want to do every day but once a year it’s fine and it’s something they’ll remember forever!” Shelby H.
Want to see your parenting ideas in a future Education.com article? “Like” us on Facebook and keep an eye out for future idea requests. Happy pranking!