Difficulty of Project
Easily available from your kitchen
Approximate Time Required to Complete the Project
- To determine whether cold water boils faster than warm water
- To understand the implications of water temperature.
- Two pots
- Warm water
- Cold water
The mpemba effect can cause hot water to freeze faster than cold water.This has led to a popular kitchen myth: that the opposite is also true.Namely, that cold water boils faster than hot water.How true is this?
- Does cold water boil faster than hot water?
Terms, Concepts and Questions to Start Background Research
- What is the mpemba effect?
- What is the ideal boiling point for water?
- How does this boiling point change in different situations?
- Take two pots.
- Fill one pot with cold water, and one pot with warm water.
- Place the pots on a stove and put them on identical heat settings.
- Time which one heats up first.
Kurtus, Ron.Mpemba Effect: When Hot Water Freezes Before Cold Water.School for Champions.Oct 30, 2002. http://www.school-for-champions.com/SCIENCE/mpemba.htm
Chaplin, Martin.Water Structure and Science.Creative Commons Attribution. http://www1.lsbu.ac.uk/water/explan4.html