Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Genetics
Study and categorize the functions and types of genes.
The goals of this project are:
- To learn about genes.
- To categorize gene types in an illustrative way.
- What are genes?
- Where are genes located?
- How are genes detected?
- What is the function of genes?
The science of genetics began when Gregor Mendel noticed that biological variations are inherited from parent organisms as specific, discrete traits. In this project you will define and illustrate the nature of genes.
- Computer with Internet access
- Color printer
- Digital camera
- Typical office/hobby/hardware/craft supplies (paper, poster board, glue, etc.).
- Carefully study the related literature (see bibliography below).
- Address all of the terms and research questions mentioned here.
- Search and print out compelling images relevant to your topic.
- Take photos throughout the course of the experiment.
- Select one or more gene experiments from the links below.
- Run the experiment(s)
- Analyze your data.
- Explain your ideas in a detailed report.
- Include graphics, charts and diagrams in your science fair display.
Terms/Concepts: Chromosome; DNA; RNA
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene (An overview of the hereditary material known as genes)
- http://www.sciencekidsathome.com/science_experiments/genetics-1.html#more (Genetic experiments for kids)
- http://www.juliantrubin.com/encyclopedia/biochemistry/genes.html (More gene experiments)
- Internet searches of your choosing. Search words or terms listed here, or make up your own phrases. Click on any results you find interesting. Have fun surfing the net!