Grade Level: 9th - 12th; Type: Earth Science
To investigate different microclimates in and around your home.
A climate is the average weather pattern and environmental conditions in a region. Within climates are smaller areas of differing conditions. These are referred to as microclimates. Microclimates play a role determining what plant and animal life will be present.
- What creates a microclimate?
- How do microclimates determine the plant or animal life present?
Terms to Know
- Choose 4 locations
- Two locations inside your home
- Two locations outside your home
- At each location place a thermometer for five minutes. After five minutes read the thermometer and record the temperature. Also make note of the general characteristics of the location. Place all data in Table 1.
- Consider the following:
- Was there a significant difference between temperatures of the indoor locations?
- Was there a significant difference between temperatures of the outdoor locations?
- Of the outdoor locations, was there a significant difference between the plants you found in each location?
Plant Life Present
1 2 3 4