How Do Breathing Exercises Affect Pulse Rate and Blood Pressure
Grade Level: Middle School; Type: Life Science
- Discover how deep, rhythmic breathing on autonomic nervous system
- Learn about the anatomy of the autonomic nervous system and its relationship to the rest of the body, especially the relationship of the vagus nerve to the diaphragm.
- What are the functions of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems?
- Why does deep breathing stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system?
- Why do people feel stress (i.e., stay in a sympathetic nervous system state)?
- What are the advantages to reducing stress by doing deep breathing?
In this experiment, you'll learn how to take blood pressure and pulse rate. In the process, you'll learn about the anatomy and physiology of the autonomic nervous system, which is what keeps our heart and lungs going.
Warning is hereby given that not all Project Ideas are appropriate for all individuals or in all circumstances. Implementation of any Science Project Idea should be undertaken only in appropriate settings and with appropriate parental or other supervision. Reading and following the safety precautions of all materials used in a project is the sole responsibility of each individual. For further information, consult your state's handbook of Science Safety.