Make a sweet smelling gift for someone special in your life with a set of scented sachets. A sachet tucked into a drawer or on a shelf in the linen closet makes everything around it smell nice. You can even customize the potpourri that you use by mixing in a few additions.
What You Do:
- Test out the potpourri. Do you like the way it smells or does it need to be spiced up? Potpourri is a blend of dried spices, flowers and herbs. You can create a potpourri that is all your own by adding lavender flowers or dried spices (see list above) to the potpourri blend that you already have.
- Pour potpourri and any additions into the bowl and then stir it to make sure that everything is distributed throughout the whole mix.
- Draw a circular pattern, about 5 inches across, on the paper. Cut out this pattern.
- Cover your work surface with newspaper or scrap paper. Working with the circle pattern, use the marker to trace the circle onto the netting. Cut out the netting circles and set aside.
- Cut a piece of thread or yarn about 2 feet long. Thread the needle and, making large stiches, sew around the circle of netting.
- Spoon your potpourri blend into the center of this stitched circle. Slowly pull on and tighten the string to create a net pouch around the potpourri. Before you tie this string off, add enough potpourri to make a pleasantly plump sachet. Then tie a bow and trim the string as needed.
- Repeat, making 4 or 6 sachet.
Make fancier sachet by adding beads to the string or using a narrow ribbon to tie the sachet closed.