Make Your Own Puzzle
Sure, you could go out and buy a puzzle at the toy store. But why buy one when it's so easy to make your own at home? Do-it-yourself puzzles are inexpensive and fun to make, and kids can pick any design they like. This personalized puzzle is sure to be a hit with even the pickiest preschooler.
What You Need:
- Thin cardboard or posterboard
- Craft knife
- Crayons or markers
What You Do:
- Help your child to decide if he wants to cut a picture from a magazine or draw his own picture.
- Hand him the markers or crayons if he's drawing his own design, then skip to Step 4. Or, if he'd rather choose a picture from a magazine, let him cut it out, then help him glue the picture to the cardboard. Leave it to dry.
- When the glue is completely dry, use the scissors to trim the cardboard to fit the picture exactly. Be sure to toss any extra cardboard into the recycle bin.
- This next step is for parents. Use the exacto knife to cut the picture on the cardboard into squiggly shapes. The smaller the pieces, the more challenging the puzzle will be.
- When you finish cutting the picture into pieces, mix it up and give it to your child to solve. Good luck putting it back together again!
Planning a birthday party? This activity is a great way to keep the little ones occupied.