Shipshape: An Indoor Game
This is a great activity for when the kids get a little stir crazy. Not only does it get the heart pumping, but it also facilitates some swashbuckling imaginative play!
What You Need:
- A group of kids (3 or more)
What You Do:
- The room is a ship. One player is the captain. The other players are the pirates.
- The game begins when the captain says, "All Pirates on deck." That means all players need to stand up for duty.
- The captain will give the following orders:
- Hit the deck: Lay down on the floor
- Stern: Run to the back
- Row your boat: The Captain points to 3 players and they sing, "Row, Row, Row Your Boat"
- Clear the deck: Pirates can't touch the floor with their feet
- Starboard: Run to the right side
- Port: Run to the left side
- Bow: Run to the front
- Attention: Salute and say, "Aye, aye, Captain"
- If the captain sees a pirate not following orders, the captain orders the pirate to Walk the plank, and he's out.
- The last pirate becomes the new captain.
Reprinted with permission from "The Ultimate Indoor Games Book" by Veronika Alice Gunter (Lark Books, 2005).