Create a Best Friend Collage Jar!
Your child will be delighted to give his best friend a homespun gift this holiday season! This present will have their friendship at heart, making it a keepsake his friend will hold onto for years and years to come. As a bonus, your child will refine his hand-eye coordination as he puts together this do-it-yourself friendship collage jar! The lucky recipient will be thrilled with this thoughtful gift that also makes a terrific boredom buster for him.
What You Need:
- Large, clear plastic jar or glass jar (with a lid)
- Two child-safe scissors (one new pair for gift, and one to use)
- Two glue sticks (one new pair for gift, and one to use)
- Old magazines and art supplies
- Magic markers
What You Do:
- Ask your child to cut interesting pictures out of magazines and place them in the jar. Suggest that he cut out images that relate to his interests, especially if he and his friend share common hobbies (i.e. airplanes, birds, etc.)
- With your child, look for odd art supplies and leftover craft scraps around your house—clean cotton balls, Q-tips, popsicle sticks, pipe cleaners, wiggly eyes, straws, etc. Add these tidbits to the jar and shake it to mix up the contents.
- Have your child lay the glue stick on the very top of everything, and close it up.
- Help him make a label, such as: "Jane's Collage Jar, From Jeffrey." Ask him to glue this label to the side of the jar.
- Tie a pretty ribbon around the jar! The safety scissors can be attached to one of the ends of the ribbon.