Make Your Own Costume: Fairy Wings
Children have creative minds and sometimes magical ideas. Why not indulge in a little fantasy with a great costume. If your child dreams of dressing up like a real fairy, it's easy to make her the wings that she wants! A quick trip to the thrift or fabric store and some easy crafting makes these fairy wings in no time.
What You Need:
- 2-4 metal wire hangers
- Wire cutters
- 2 yards two-sided cotton, silk or gauzy fabric
- 2 15-inch-long, 2-inch wide strips of elastic
- White craft glue
- White chalk
What You Do:
- You can choose from several shapes, such as long and narrow insect wings, fat and wide wings, curvy butterfly wings, or even feathery bird wings. Look at images online or sketch ideas ahead of time so you're prepared when it's time to choose a wing shape.
- Cut and shape the wire to form your first wing. Use the first as your template for the second to make sure they match. To attach each end of the wing, glue them together, or wrap one end of the wire around the other using pliers. Just make sure there aren’t any sharp points sticking out!
- Lay your fabric flat on the floor or work table, and smooth out any wrinkles.
- Put your wire wings over the fabric and draw their outline on the fabric, at least 1 inch wider than the actual metal wings.
- Spread glue around the edge of the metal and the extra edging of fabric, and fold the edge of the fabric over the wings. Spread it out so the glue affixes evenly and there are no wrinkles in the fabric.
- Use a wet paper towel or cloth to wipe away any extra glue. Then leave 30 minutes for the glue to dry.
- Lay the wings side by side, how you would like them to hang on your child’s back. Use excess fabric strips to form a rectangle that will hold the two wings together. Glue the fabric rectangle equally to each wing. You may want to reinforce this with hot glue or by sewing them together by hand. Again, allow time for any glue to dry.
- Finally, turn the wings over to the front side to attach the straps your fairy can use to hold the wings on. They will go around her arms, just like she’s wearing a backpack. Attach the top of the straps on each side, where the middle strip of fabric meets each wing—you can use glue, pins, or sew them in place.
- Have her stand in front of you and drape the wings across her back. Pin each strap so that it wraps around each shoulder and attaches under the arm, like a backpack strap. Make sure it’s tight enough to stay on while she moves, but not too tight to be uncomfortable. Also check that the wings each hang evenly and aren’t too low or high.
- Have her take the wings off once they’re pinned, and either sew or glue the straps in place.
- Make sure you leave enough time for all the glue to dry.
- Now you’ve given your magic fairy her wings! Have her try them on and wear them around the house to make sure they are secure. Then get ready for Halloween night, or a fun-filled day of pretend play.