Does your child love sushi? How about creating something a little different with avocado sushi bites! She can hone her culinary skills as well as expand her flavor palate. And, the whole family will love the finished creation!
What You Do:
- Invite your child to find the carrot peeler as well as washing the cucumber before preparing to make the sushi bites.
- Now she can carefully use the carrot peeler to slowly create lengths of cucumber starting at one end, and peeling to the other. The top few peels with just the cucumber skin can be put to the side.
- Once she’s got a nice long length of cucumber, she can cut it in half, and coat one side with a dollop of cream cheese.
- Now she can carefully cut and cube the avocado. Using a paring knife with an avocado can be a bit challenging, especially when removing the pit. Ask an adult to help if needed!
- She can place a cube of avocado at one end of the cucumber strip and then begin rolling things up, just like a sushi roll.
- Encourage your child to hold her cucumber sushi bite together with a small amount of cream cheese, or use a toothpick for extra support.
Tell your child to keep peeling and rolling until the entire cucumber and avocado have been used. Then she can serve to friends and family for a perfect afternoon snack!
Sarah Lipoff has a K-12 Art Education degree and enjoys working with kids of all ages.