Take this timeless game on the road but leave the scraps of paper at home. Using a few simple materials, you and your child can create a checkers game board that will last all the way to your destination and home again!
What You Need:
- Glue sticks
- Heavyweight felt (1 sheet)
- Lightweight felt (2 different colors, 1 sheet each)
- Hot glue gun
What You Do:
- Help your child cut six strips of ribbon that measure the length of the heavyweight felt. Use the hot glue gun and affix the strips onto the felt, spaced two inches apart.
- Cut six strips of ribbon that measure the width of the heavyweight felt. Use the hot glue gun and affix the strips onto the felt, spaced two inches apart.
- Help your child create the playing pieces by tracing a penny onto each of the lightweight pieces of felt. Cut out each playing piece. Make 14 pieces from each sheet of felt.
- Attach a piece of velcro to the back of each playing piece.
- Place the playing pieces into the squares on each side of the heavyweight felt, then the first player is ready to make his move!