Take the pain out of learning parts! Disguising fraction lessons as baking provides your little chef with math practice without him even realizing. Make sure your child is in charge of the measuring, and the exposure to cups, tablespoons, and parts thereof will familiarize him with fractions while he's having fun! Give these luscious, yet low fat breakfast muffins a Halloween twist by flavoring them with pumpkin spice and decorating them with ghostly marshmallows.
What You Need:
- 1 cup bran cereal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice or ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 eggs
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 36 mini marshmallows
- Small cup of chocolate sauce
- A toothpick
What You Do:
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Ask your child to soak the cereal in the milk until softened and to drain out the surplus milk.
- Get your child to measure out the flour, the baking powder, the pumpkin spice/cinnamon, sugar and the salt into a large bowl.
- Ask your child to beat the egg in another bowl with the vanilla and apple sauce, then add the wet cereal and mix well.
- Have him sprinkle the raisins into the dry ingredients.
- Invite him to add the wet ingredients and to mix until moistened.
- Help him fill 12-14 paper muffin cups 2/3 full of muffin mixture.
- Bake the muffins for 18-20 minutes until firm and lightly browned.
- Have your child place three mini marshmallows on each muffin in a triangle shape and return to the hot oven until the marshmallows have melted.
- Take the pan out of the oven and put the hot muffins on a cooling rack.
- Squash the marshmallows with the back of a teaspoon so that they join together and make a "ghost" shape.
- When the muffins have cooled, let your child dip the toothpick into the chocolate sauce to make three dots to on each marshmallow ghost for the eyes and mouth.
- The muffins are ready to enjoy!
Shaheen Bilgrami has been writing and editing children's books for over twelve years. Her books have been published all over the world.