Irish Pot of Gold
Celebrate Saint Patrick's Day with a rainbow, a pot of gold and an introduction to printmaking. This cute layering project will let your child experiment using multiple colors in one print. The final artwork is an adorable greeting to celebrate a colorful holiday!
What You Need:
- Construction paper (green, black and white)
- Tempera paint
- Gold paper or sticker sheets
- Glue stick
- Glitter glue, or paint marker
What You Do:
- Help your child cut down a sheet of white paper to 6" x 9".
- Using black construction paper, have him draw and cut out a pot to hold his rainbow and gold. Set this to the side.
- He can now cut out gold coins from either gold paper or sticker sheets. He can use a coin or trace a lid to get more accurate circle shapes.
- Open up each color of tempera paint needed to create a rainbow.
- Help paint his hand with each color of the rainbow in order. Allow him to tell you which color to paint.
- Have him stamp his hand on the top center of the paper. He can press down on each of his fingers using his other hand to make sure to get a good print. Then he can wash and dry his hands to finish the project.
- Adhere the gold coins at the base of the hand. Try to keep them only as wide as the top of the pot so it appears they are inside the pot.
- Adhere the black pot onto the base of the rainbow, covering the bottoms of the gold coins.
- Have him write a St. Patty's Day greeting with either glitter glue or a paint marker.
- Finally, mount the artwork on a solid green sheet of paper.