Irish Pot of Gold Activity
Celebrate Saint Patrick's Day with a rainbow, a pot of gold and an introduction to printmaking. This cute layering project will let your child experiment using multiple colors in one print. The final piece of artwork is an adorable way to celebrate a colorful holiday!
What You Need:
- Construction paper (green, black and white)
- Tempera paint
- Gold paper or sticker sheets
- Glue stick
- Glitter glue, or paint marker
What You Do:
- Help your child cut down a sheet of white paper to 6" x 9".
- Using black construction paper, have him draw and cut out a pot to hold his rainbow and gold. Set it aside.
- Now have him cut out gold coins from either gold paper or sticker sheets. He can use a coin or trace a lid to get more accurate circle shapes.
- Open up each color of tempera paint needed to create a rainbow.
- Help paint his hand with each color of the rainbow in order. Encourage him to tell you while you're painting which colors come next.
- Have him stamp his hand on the top center of the paper. He can press down on each of his fingers using his other hand to make sure he gets a good print. Then, he should wash and dry his hands to finish the project.
- Adhere the gold coins at the base of the hand. Try to keep them only as wide as the top of the pot so they appear to be inside the pot.
- Position the black pot at the base of the rainbow, covering the bottoms of the gold coins and glue it down.
- Have him write a St. Paddy's Day greeting with either glitter glue or a paint marker.
- Mount the artwork on a solid green sheet of paper and let him admire his festive craft.