Make Jewelry Using Your Favorite Photos! Activity
Remember Shrinky Dinks? They were sheets of plastic film you could draw on, cut out, and bake into a shrunken solid piece of plastic. The original Shrinky Dink is no longer on the market, but now there's something even better: Inkjet printable shrink plastic! Print your very own photos, snapshots, or fine art pictures onto a plastic sheet, watch them shrink in the oven, and then create some unique pendants, earrings, or key chains! They're great accessories, but also make an excellent gift for a friend or family member.
What You Need:
- Inkjet printable shrink plastic (available at most major craft stores or online)
- Oven or convection toaster oven
- Cookie sheet
- Parchment paper
- Hole punch
- Earring wires, necklace chains, string, key rings (available at craft stores)
What You Do:
- Find a photo on your computer that your child wants to turn into a piece of jewelry. It could be anything from a family photo, a picture of a family pet, or a piece of artwork your child made.
- Print the photo onto a piece of the Inkjet printable shrink plastic. Be sure the photo is about 2 to 3 times larger than you want for the final piece; once you shrink the image, it will be 1/2 to 1/3 of the original print-out. Print as many images you can fit on one sheet to conserve the shrink plastic.
- As you wait for the ink to dry, preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Help your child cut out the images. You can either cut around the outline of the shape or leave a border.
- Punch a hole in the images that will be used for earrings, necklaces, or key rings.
- Place a piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet
- Arrange the cut-outs on the cookie sheet and be sure that none of the edges are touching.
- Watch your pictures shrink as they bake for 2-5 minutes! They will curl and uncurl, but if they still need some flattening after 5 minutes, press on them gently while they're still hot with a metal spatula.
- Let the pictures cool, then add the earring wires, chains, string, or key ring and voila! You have your own handmade personalized accessories!