Valentine's Day Salad
Instead of focusing on sweet treats this Valentine's Day, show your child how to make this tasty savory dish that's full of color, fresh flavors, and heart-healthy ingredients. Insalata Caprese, or salad in the style of Capri, is a simple dish from the Campania region of Italy. Here your child can add a Valentine's Day touch to this traditional salad by cutting the mozzarella into heart-shaped slices!
What You Need:
- Fresh mozzarella
- Fresh basil
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Good quality extra virgin olive oil
- Good quality balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
What You Do:
- Have your child cut the mozzarella into 1/4” thick slices. Use a cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes from each slice. Wrap and refrigerate the scraps of cheese for snacking on later.
- Slice the tomatoes into 1/4” thick slices. Try to use tomatoes that are about the same size around as the mozzarella for a more attractive presentation.
- Ask your child to layer the mozzarella, tomato, and basil on a platter.
- Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Enjoy!
What a festive and delicious way to start off any Valentine’s Day meal!