This easy painting activity feels magical, especially when you use it for a secret message. Your child can hone her writing skills by using tape to spell out something special like her name, and then hide it with paint until it’s ready for the special moment of reveal. Afterwards, she’ll have a colorful sign or tag decorated with negative space!
What You Need:
- Sheet of paper
- Scrap paper
- Masking tape
- Tempera paint
What You Do:
- Have your child practice writing her name as large as she can on a sheet of scrap paper before starting on the sheet of white paper.
- Once your child is feeling comfortable making large letters, she can do it on the sheet of white paper, filling the entire sheet of paper with the letters of his name along with leaving space between each letter.
- Now your child can use strips of tape to write out the letters of his name, over the penciled letters.
- With his favorite colors of tempera paint, he can paint all over his paper, creating a tie-dye look by mixing the colors!
- Once the paper has dried, he can slowly and carefully peel away the tape, revealing his words. Offer your child an eraser to remove any of the pencils marks.