Want to teach your little one about color combinations in a fun and creative way? This cherry pie plate can help you do just that. And this isn't just some boring educational tool. This learning device actually looks amazing -- and delicious!
What You Do:
- Have your child put a dollop of yellow paint and a dollop of red paint on the plastic lid. Don't worry if the two paint puddles touch.
- Help him use a paint brush to mix the two colors together. Can he name the color he has created? It should be orange.
- Let him add a couple dots of blue paint onto the lid.
- Ask your child to mix half of the orange paint with the blue paint to form brown paint.
- To lighten the brown paint, mix in tiny dots of the remaining orange paint until he creates the perfect "pie crust" brown shade.
- Spread out newspapers on a flat surface.
- Have your child paint one paper plate with the brown paint.
- Help him paint the second paper plate red.
- Let the paper plates dry.
- This next step is all you. Use a box cutter to cut four football-shaped pieces out of the center of the brown paper plate.
- Help your child glue the paper plates together with the red plate underneath the brown plate. His pie plate is all done! Now that he knows how some colors mix to create other colors maybe it's time for a celebratory treat. Maybe a real slice of pie?