Secret Valentine Message
This is the perfect way to send an “I love you” greeting to your favorite Valentine! Your child can decorate a crepe paper bag to suit the season, complete with braided ribbon handles and a pouch large enough to slip in a secret message, sheet of stickers or a tiny sweet treat.
What You Need:
- Pink or red tissue paper, 8.5” x 11”
- Crepe paper ribbon, 8” long
- 3 pieces of thin red ribbon, 12” long
- Glue stick
- Clear tape
- Valentine’s Day sequins
- Valentine’s Day colored pompoms
- White construction paper (optional)
What You Do:
- Cut a piece of tissue paper to 4” wide x 11” long. Fold the tissue in half lengthwise.
- Glue the long edges of the tissue paper and fold them together. Do not glue the top edge; that will be the opening of the handbag.
- Tape the three pieces of ribbon together at one end. Tape the end to a table and show your child how to braid the ribbon to make the handle for their bag. Tape the end of the braid together so it does not fall apart. * For children not ready to braid, use one piece of string or a pre-braided cord for the handle.
- Tape one end of the braid to the inside of one edge of the bag, and the other end inside the other edge of the bag, creating a rainbow shape for the handle.
- Cut the crepe ribbon in half and glue half of the crepe ribbon on the front of the bag, and half on the back of the bag, adding decorative trim and covering the top edges of the bag.
- Decorate the bag with Valentine’s Day sequins and pompoms.
- Cut a small heart out of the white paper for writing a secret Valentine’s Day message on. Tuck it into the handbag and give it to your favorite Valentine!