This winter, heat up your children's afternoon snack with these wholesome snowflakes! This is a great opportunity for you to get your kids in the kitchen and cooking with you. Design and cut tortillas, finish them off with a little powdered sugar, and make your child's snacktime or school lunch healthy and memorable!
What You Need:
- Package of whole grain, flour tortillas
- Kitchen scissors
- Baking sheet
- Oven mitts
- Preheated broiler or toaster oven
- Powdered sugar
What You Do:
- Fold the tortilla in half, and then in half again.
- Help your child cut out shapes and designs from the folded edges of the tortilla with the kitchen scissors. Cut through all of the layers, trying not to tear the tortilla. (Note: for safety reasons, an adult may want to take over during this part.)
- Open the tortilla and place it flat on the baking sheet. It should resemble a snowflake.
- Place the baking sheet and snowflakes under the broiler or in the toaster oven just until the tortilla starts to crispen. Watch them carefully—it only takes a minute or so!
- Wearing oven mitts, remove the baking sheet from the oven. Set aside and let cool for a few minutes.
- Once they're cool, help your child carefully sprinkle the powdered sugar on the snowflake tortilla. A little goes a long way!
- With a spatula, remove the tortilla snowflake from the baking sheet.
- For an extra festive touch, while you're waiting for the tortillas to dry, you can sprinkle a little powdered sugar on a dark plate.
- Place the tortillas on the plate and dig in!