What You Need:
- Safety glasses to wear at all times
- Small sized funnel
- Foil cake pan at least 2 inches tall
- 20 mL 6% hydogren peroxide (buy from a beauty store)
- 16 ounce empty plastic bottle
- 1 ounce powdered yeast
- 10 mL dish liquid
- Food coloring
What You Do:
- Instruct your child to place the small funnel in the mouth of the bottle. Ask her to put the bottle in the middle of the foil cake pan.
- Have her add 4 drops of food coloring into the peroxide. Put this mixture into the bottle.
- Pour dish liquid into the bottle.
- Put the yeast mixture into the bottle, and remove the funnel immediately.
- Encourage your child to touch the outside of the bottle. Does the temperature change?
Foam will soon soar out and then fall into the pan! Invite your child to play with the safe foam, which is a mixture of soap, water, and oxygen. Because the reaction produced heat (exothermic reaction), the bottle will be warm! Yeast is a catalyst, so when hydrogen peroxide is mixed with it and dish liquid, foam will be formed! Have your child use different amounts of the products to see which produces the biggest physical reaction.