What You Need:
- Paper plate
- Gold paint
- Hot glue gun (with glue)
- Gold or red paint
- Colored straws
What You Do:
- Have your child create a collar out of a paper plate by cutting through one side of the plate and removing a large circle in the center.
- Using the ruler and a pencil, draw a grid around the collar.
- Color the grid in with bright markers.
- Now paint the pasta gold, and let it dry completely.
- First, cut the colored drinking straws into small pieces. Then, cut several lengths of yarn as well, each about a foot long. Having slightly different lengths will make the collar more visually interesting.
- Have your child string the painted pasta and pieces of drinking straws onto the pieces of string, and fasten the ends.
- Carefully hot glue the ends of the strings to the bottom edge of the collar, and about an inch apart.
- Hot glue the remaining pieces of painted pasta and colored straws around the collar of the necklace.
This Yoruba collar necklace is a great way to put the finishing touch on a costume! If your child isn't keen on wearing the necklace, it can also be displayed on a wall or in a doorway.