What You Need:
- White and black paper
- Craft sticks
- White fuzzy craft ball
- Googly eyes
- Compass (optional)
What You Do:
- On white paper, have your child draw a large circle. The circle should have a diameter the size of the craft stick or slightly larger. If necessary, you can use a compass to help draw the circle. Cut out the circle.
- Glue the craft stick on the circle so that it divides the circle in half equally. Set it aside to dry.
- Once the circle has dried, have your child fold the halves of the circle together (imagine that the circle is a hot dog bun and the craft stick is the hot dog). This is the body of the dove.
- Glue the tops of the halves together so that the craft stick rests on the inside of the folded circle, the stick will be the dove's back.
- On a separate piece of white paper, trace your child’s hands on the white paper and cut them out. These are the wings of your dove. You should have two hands cut out for the two wings of the dove.
- Turn the half circle so that the round part is facing down and the flat part is on top, creating the dove's back. Glue the wings to the body of the dove near the center on top of the flat part where the craft stick is located. Make sure you only glue near the wrist part of the hand so that the rest of the wing is free to move.
- Glue the fuzzy craft ball to one end of the craft stick for the head and glue a triangle of white paper to the other end of the craft stick for a tail. The triangle should be about 3/4 the length of a craft stick. Set aside your dove to dry.
- Glue googly eyes to the dove's head.
- Cut a small triangle from the black paper for a beak and glue it beneath the eyes. Let dry.
- On the ends of the wings and tail, help your child use scissors to cut small slits and fray the paper to give it a more feather-like feel.
You can attach a piece of string to your dove and can hang it above a commonly used doorway or on a doorknob where it will be a quiet reminder of the significance of the month and of the important events that have impacted the lives of African Americans throughout history.