What You Need:
- Wire mesh screen, stapled to the back of an old picture frame
- Colored chalk
- Buttermilk poured in a cup
- Newspaper-covered work area
What You Do:
- Place a sheet of paper on your work area.
- Help your child paint the paper with buttermilk.
- Place the framed screen over the paper. The wire screen should be attached to the back of the frame and elevated over the paper. Be sure the screen is securely stapled to the back of the frame; reinforce with duct tape if necessary.
- Have your child rub the colored chalk back and forth over the screen so that powdered bits of chalk fall into the buttermilk on the paper below. Experiment with different colors of chalk and different areas of the screen.
- Lift the screen and have your child watch closely as the chalk absorbs the buttermilk on the paper and begins to sparkle and shine.
- Allow the chalk art to dry completely.
Now hang the artwork on the wall for all to admire!