What You Need:
- 1/4 cup or 4 tbsp. cream cheese
- Several drops peppermint essence or peppermint oil
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Red food coloring
- Small cookie cutters
- Waxed paper
What You Do:
- Wash your hands and encourage your child to do the same. Make sure all chefs are wearing aprons with long sleeves out of the way, and long hair tied back.
- Have your child measure out the powdered sugar and cream cheese into separate bowls.
- Ask your child to add the peppermint essence to the cream cheese and have him mix it well.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and get him to continue mixing until the mixture forms a soft dough.
- Break off a quarter of the dough and have your child add a few drops of the red coloring. Mix it until the ball is completely red. Ask your child to add a bit more powdered sugar if the dough starts to get sticky.
- Have your child loosely combine the red and white doughs, so that the dough has a red marble effect.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar onto a surface and roll out the dough (should be 1/4 inch thick).
- With your child, cut out festive shapes using the cookie cutters. Leave the candies to dry on waxed paper.
- The candies are ready to be eaten or given as a gift! Since these sweets are made out of cream cheese, they should be eaten within two days.
Enjoy them quickly! These delectable treats are made with cream cheese, so they are best eaten within a couple of days of making them.
Make orange, lemon or strawberry creams, by simply changing the flavoring and color.