What You Need:
- Dry ingredients (see individual recipes below)
- Mixing bowls
- Plastic bags
- Yarn or ribbon
- 3 x 5 recipe cards
- Writing pen
- Gift tags
- Single hole punch
What You Do:
- Combine the dry ingredients for each mix in separate bowls.
- Carefully scoop each dry mix into a plastic bag and tie tightly with a ribbon.
- On a 3 x 5 recipe card, have your child write “Pancake Mix” at the top. Below that, have her write out the directions (listed below) for making pancakes with the mix.
- Repeat the process for each of the remaining mixes.
- Have your child write her name and the recipient's name on the gift tags.
- Punch a hole in the top right corner of each gift tag and recipe card.
- String the gift tags and recipe cards on lengths of ribbon and tie around each bag of mix.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
Combine 1 egg and 3/4 cup milk in a bowl. Add 1 cup pancake mix and whisk until blended. Cook on a hot, buttered griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup of batter for each pancake.
Hot Cocoa Mix
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 cup powdered milk
- Dash of salt
Add 4 tablespoons hot chocolate mix to an 8-ounce mug of boiling water.
- 1/3 cup dried yellow split peas
- 1/3 cup dried green split peas
- 1/3 cup dried lima beans
- 1/3 cup dried pinto beans
- 1/3 cup dried kidney beans
- 1/3 cup dried Great Northern beans
- 1/4 cup dried minced onion
- 2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Bring 8 cups of water to a boil and add soup mix. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and let sit for one hour. Add 2 diced carrots, 2 stalks of diced celery, and 1 cup diced cooked ham. Bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook 2 more hours.
- 1 cup corn meal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine 1 cup milk, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 1 egg in a bowl. Add cornbread mix and stir until just blended. Pour into a greased, 8-inch square baking pan. Bake in a preheated 400-degree oven for 20-25 minutes.