What You Need:
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ¼ cup baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Graham crackers
- Powdered sugar
- Cocoa powder
What You Do:
- Help your third grader get started by placing a small saucepan over medium heat. Have her add the sweetened condensed milk to the pot and give it a good stir. Add the cocoa to the milk using a ¼ cup measuring cup.
- Have her give her upper arms a good workout by gently stirring the milk mixture until it comes to a boil, up to 10 minutes.
- When the milk comes to a boil, turn off the heat, add the butter and vanilla to the mixture, and stir well. Place the mixture in the refrigerator to chill while you prepare the coatings. Let chill for at least 30 minutes—the colder the filling, the easier it will be to roll.
- Help your child pulse several graham crackers in a blender or food processor until they are finely ground. Remove the crumbs to a dish and set aside.
- Have her measure ¼ cup powdered sugar and ¼ cup cocoa powder and place them each into their own dish.
- After your child has washed her hands, it’s time to get rolling! Use a small spoon to scoop out the cold filling and gently roll into a ball.
- Gently toss the ball of filling in one of the coatings and place it on a plate. Continue rolling and coating until all the filling is used up, alternating the coatings as you go.
Get creative with coatings! Try a cinnamon sugar mixture, coconut (chopped fine in a food processor), or toasted ground almonds or walnuts. Bonbons also make great gifts.