What You Need:
- 2 peppermint candies
- Re-sealable plastic bag
- Rolling pin
- 6 tablespoons of chocolate chips
- 6 plastic spoons
- Microwave safe bowl
- Wax paper
What You Do:
- Have your child place the unwrapped peppermint candies in a re-sealable plastic bag.
- Help him crush the candies with a rolling pin. He doesn’t have to powder them, but just make sure there are no big pieces left.
- Ask him to place a sheet of wax paper on a plate so that he has a place to put his chocolate covered spoons as he makes them.
- He should now put the chocolate chips into a microwave safe bowl and microwave the chocolate for 30 seconds.
- Help him remove the bowl from the microwave and stir. Continue to microwave for 30 second intervals and stir until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Have him dip his spoons in the melted chocolate.
- Let him place each chocolate-covered spoon on the sheet of wax paper.
- While the chocolate is still warm, have him sprinkle the chocolate with the crushed peppermint.
- Chill spoons in the refrigerator until the chocolate has set.
- The next time you make hot chocolate for your young chef, have him stir the steaming beverage with one of his special spoons. Hot chocolate with an extra kick of peppermint and melting chocolate? Sounds delicious!
Experiment with different flavors like melted white chocolate, crushed butterscotch candies, cupcake sprinkles and more!