What You Need:
- 6-8 pipe cleaners (any color)
- Strips of aluminum foil cut into 1” X 6” strips
- 1 roll of 1 inch gauze cut into six inch strips
- Bowl of water
- Bronze colored spray paint
What You Do:
- Create the basic shape of a person using the pipe cleaners. First twist two pipe cleaners together (forming a thick strand the length of one pipe cleaner). This will be the statue's body. Create a small circle at the top of the strand to be the head.
- Twist another pipe cleaner around the strand a couple of inches below the head to be one arm and repeat for the other arm.
- Twist another pipe cleaner around the bottom of the strand for one leg and repeat for the other leg. Now that you have the basic shape of a person, encourage your child to move the arms, legs, head and body to represent the action (or even feelings) they want to capture with their statue.
- Next, wrap strips of tin foil around the pipe cleaners so that the arms, legs, body and head are uniformly ¾ to 1 inch thick.
- Dip a strip of the gauze into the water and carefully wrap it over the foil. Try to get the gauze to lay as smoothly as possible. The water will act as “glue” to help the gauze stick to the foil. You want to have every part of the statue covered with about two layers of the gauze.
- Leave the statue to dry for several hours or overnight.
- When it is completely dry, spray the entire statue with the bronze spray paint.
When it's dry you’ve got your very own bronze statue!