What You Need:
- Parfait glasses
- Strawberries, washed and cored
- Plastic knife
- Cutting board
What You Do:
- Have your child start by slicing the strawberries, using the cutting board and the plastic knife.
- When she is done, it's time to start your parfait patterns. Have her spoon about an inch of yogurt into the bottom of the parfait glass.
- Encourage her to top this with a one-inch thick layer of strawberry slices.
- Next comes another layer of yogurt and another layer of strawberry slices. While your child works, discuss the A-B-A-B pattern that she's making with the ingredients.
- Now, ask her to repeat steps 2–4 in each additional parfait glass, stopping to slice more strawberries as needed.
- When she's all done, call the family into the kitchen to enjoy these picture-perfect parfaits!
Here's an idea! Make the project a bit more complex by adding another type of fruit. A can of mandarin oranges, diced kiwi, or slivers of cantaloupe will enable your child to create an A-B-C pattern with layers of yogurt, strawberries, and the additional extra.